monkeyrat.com

fi & jims never ending adventures

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Fifi does Vietnam



Vietnam, last day of Jan '09

Travel smells

Memories came flooding back after a took a deep breath of air. Those smells tingled my senses and opened the travel part of my brain. I felt awake once more. Travelling has a profound impact on me and never ceases to excite me. For some people its a taste of chocolate or coffee that makes them alive, for me its the smell of travelling.

Its the association of fun memories, new sights, tastes and smells that makes me want to explore. Ten years ago I was last in South East Asia, so it is a a pleasure to be here again and to be in a new country, Vietnam. How lucky I am to travel for work, it is something I have always aspired too and it was my aim 10 years ago. The only thing that is missing for me is my much loved travel partner in crime, Jim.

So first impressions of Hanoi in Vietnam:
Clean, smiley, lots to buy and quirky cafés to hang out in.

The old quarter, where I am staying, has lots of hidden streets, shops and colourful buildings. It is very easy to walk around and the temperature is very pleasant a mild 20oc so great for walking.

The prices vary a lot, at the moment I'm sat in a café which is quite western (but free wifi) its around 70p for a beer and 50p for a tea, I have had cheaper (tea, not beer). My aim is to have an alcohol free 2 weeks (hmm, we will see).

I have booked my cycle rickshaw for later, a very sweet man called Vin is picking me up for a cycle tour of Hanoi, 1 hour 3 US dollars.

Vin was a star we cycled for over an hour and a half. He showed me loads of places which was cool and I even got to cycle with him as a passenger, the locals all smiled.

Next place – Cat Ba

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home